It’s that special time of year again.
If you’re wondering why your VPN is acting worse than usual, ask your Chinese friends about the åä¹å¤§ã€‚ Or see the links below (if you can, ha!).
- Link Roundups: 19th Party Congress — Oct 12, Oct 19, Oct 27, Nov 2
- Chinaâ€™s Communist Party Is About to Meet. Hereâ€™s What You Should Know.
- Beijing Calls for an Internet â€˜Fire Moatâ€™ for the City Ahead of 19th National Congress
- Leaving nothing to chance, China increases security, social control before Congress
â€œWe must hold the line for social control, eliminate all destabilizing factors, hold the line for cyber security and resolutely crack down on political rumors and harmful news,â€ Cai said.
- Preparing for Red October
At the 19th Congress, delegates will gather in Beijing to â€œselectâ€ the Party leaders for the coming five years and will no doubt allow Party General Secretary Xi Jinping consolidate his power over the Party and the nation.
In preparation for the meetings, the entire country is being mobilized to make sure that everything goes off without a hitch. Security measures are being put into place. Internet filters are being turned up. Neighborhood committees are being deputized to keep an eye on everything that happens at the street level. Party slogans will dot the landscape, as the people will be reminded of the importanceâ€”no, the necessityâ€”of the Party in the life of the nation. Decisions are being put on hold, and Beijing will slowly turn itself into a 20-million-person armed camp; China will, for all intents and purposes, be closed.
The first week of October may be dubbed â€œGolden Week,â€ but the rest of the month will definitely be red.