What a half-hour’s bike ride during Friday morning rush hour can get you in Tianjin:
- People who stared at me: 4
- People who took no notice of me: hundreds
- Red lights: 8/11 (meaning I had to stop for 3)
- Buses I wanted to curse at: all of them, but 4 especially noxious ones in particular
- Groups of migrant construction workers protesting their late wages: 1
- Cars on fire: 1
- Buildings I should be able to see but can’t because of the air pollution: dozens? scores? hundreds?
- Years shaved off my life due to the air pollution: incalculable
Five days a week I bike half an hour one way to work; so 13.2 kilometers total there and back according to google maps. The numbers above are only for the morning commute to work. There really was a car on fire this morning.