Ladies and gentlemen, the Lewis Model:
(Click here for larger image.)
Every culture is plotted on a continuum between three points:
- Multi-active (Brazil, Sub-Saharan Africa, Hispanic America): warm, emotional, loquacious, impulsive
- Reactive (Vietnam, China, Japan): courteous, amiable, accommodating, compromiser, good listener
- Linear-active (Germany, U.S., U.K.): cool, factual, decisive planners
Is there much to it, beyond the near-miracle of turning the humanities into something marketable? I don’t know, but at the very least it’s interesting conversation fodder. I found it here.
It’s especially interesting to me how he plots Canada and the U.S. quite far apart in relation to each other and to China. I could use that to explain all kinds of things!
More culture stuff:
- Can Asians Think? (3 posts)
- Beyond the Chinese Face (4 posts)
- The Geography of Thought (7 posts)
- Communicating Effectively With the Chinese (5 posts)
- â€œLegastoriesâ€ creatively bridges the China-West cultural divide